Ear Acupuncture - Group Sessions
Ear acupuncture is generally done in groups. It is carried out in the seated position. The environment is quiet and calming, and some people choose to use it as a time to meditate. Because treatments take place in a group setting, costs for the individual are low and makes regular treatment affordable.
A type of treatment, known as the “NADA protocol” is used, where up to five small disposable needles are inserted into each ear. These points are:
(1) Sympathetic – which calms the nervous system and helps with overall relaxation.
(2) Shen Men / “Spirit Gate” – which reduces anxiety and nervousness.
(3) Kidney Point – for calming fears and healing internal organs.
(4) Liver Point – for detoxification, blood purification, and to quell aggression.
(5) Lung Point – which promotes aeration and helps clients let go of grief.
These points help stimulate the brain to trigger endorphins, which relieve stress and promote relaxation. The system was developed in the 1970s to help those recovering from addiction and suffering with trauma, anxiety, depression, irritability and is also used for its beneficial effects within mental health. More recently, it has been used after hurricanes and earthquakes for treating post traumatic shock in civilian environments. Nada ear acupuncture was used after 9/11 in the US, and after the Grenfell Fire in London, where triage centres using ear acupuncture were set up in local mosques.
Nada ear acupuncture is an effective stand-alone treatment but can used alongside other therapies such as massage or counselling.