Hot Stones Massage
Hot & Cold Stone Massage
Hot stone massage combines the benefits of Hydrotherapy and ‘Thermalism’ or ‘Thermotherapy’ (the use of heat applications) with massage strokes, using stones to create a deep, relaxing and healing treatment.
As the skin warms from the use of the heated stones this allows the skin to absorb moisturizing and therapeutic oils, while at the same time preparing the musculature of the body so the therapist can work into the deeper muscle layers.
It is generally accepted that one stroke of a heated basalt stone is equivalent to 5 strokes of the therapists hand.
Benefits of Thermotherapy can include:
- Increased local circulation
- Improved blood flow to surrounding tissues
- Greater ability to transport toxins and waste products from the area.
- Increase in heart rate
- Increase in metabolism
- Increase in the release of toxins
- Decrease in blood pressure, stress, fatigue, and tension
- Diaphoresis (sweating)
- Sedative effects
- Boost to the immune system
- Decrease in pain perception (analgesia)
- Decrease in muscle spasm
- Decrease in muscle stiffness